Crandall is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 175 and Farm roads 148 and 3039, nine miles west of Kaufman in west central Kaufman County. The catalyst for its development was the decision of the Texas Trunk Line Railway to lay tracks through the area in 1880. Rev. C. F. Crandall gave the railroad a right-of-way through his land, and the community that quickly developed there was named in his honor; it became a shipping point for area farmers. In 1881 a post office branch was opened at the community. By 1884 the town had a gristmill, a cotton gin, a church, a school, and a population of fifty. Its population grew to an estimated 150 by 1890 and to 251 by 1904. By the mid-1920s Crandall had an estimated 750 residents and fifty businesses, including two banks. Its population dropped slightly during the Great Depression years, and some Crandall residents moved to work in the cities during World War II. In 1943 Crandall had 500 residents. In 1988 it had 1,207 residents and fifteen businesses, and in 1990 it had 1,652 residents. The population had grown to 2,774 by 2000. The estimated population in 2019 was 4,017.
Crandall is located in western Kaufman County at 32°37′39″N 96°27′12″W (32.627407, -96.453276). U.S. Route 175 passes through the north side of the city, leading northwest 24 miles (39 km) to the center of Dallas and southeast 9 miles (14 km) to Kaufman.
School District History:
According to the deed of records which was filed on February 28, 1901, "Twenty resident citizens of the village of Crandall requested an election for the purpose of incorporating for free school purpose as provided by law." The election was held on March 9, 1901. The citizens also voted at the same time to "levy a tax of 0.25 cents on $100 to raise money so the district might float bonds to build a good school building." The building was completed in 1903 at a cost of $9,000. The school had five teachers with an enrollment of about "225 scholars." CISD is proud to celebrate over "120 years of excellence."